The Pedlars 

  William Pedler was born at Gwennap, Cornwall, 6th June 1804. In 1828 he married Elizabeth Nicholls also of Cornwall. Ten years later they migrated to South Australia, sailing on the "Royal Admiral" with their four children; William aged nine, Darius aged six, Elizabeth aged four and Emma one year old. Two more children were born after their arrival, one of whom died in infancy. They took up residence in Carrington St. Adelaide.
  William was a shoemaker by trade and carried on in that trade in Adelaide. It is claimed that he was shoemaker to the Governor of South Australia.
  In 1850, in partnership with Mr. T.C. Bray, he purchased 135 acres in the hundred of Yatala in the vicinity of the Old Spot Hotel on the Little Para River. He later disposed of all except nine acres of fertile land by the river. He then purchased 269 acres east of Bridge Road near Cobblers Creek and established a farm named "Trevolsa".    William Pedler Jnr., born in Cornwall 12th May1829 had received some education in Cornwall before coming to Australia. His education was continued in Adelaide at Mr. J.L. Shepherdson's School and later at Rev. Drummond's School in Angus Street. He began employment at Mr. J. H. Neale's auction rooms in Hindley Street. In 1852 at the age of 23, he caught the "Gold Fever" and journeyed to Melbourne via the "Anna Dixon" and thence to Bendigo where he met with some success.
  He returned home but after only a short stay headed back to the goldfield, this time travelling overland back to Bendigo where he worked the Eaglehawk area. After having spent nearly a year at the diggings he returned at the end of 1852 and continued working at the Trevolsa farm.
  On 29th September 1857 he married Martha Day, daughter of Samuel Day of Prospect. They had eleven children of whom four sons and five daughters survived to adulthood.
  William jnr., and his brother Darius having worked the farm with their father, purchased it from him each taking a workable portion.   William Senior's wife Elizabeth died in 1855. Two years later he married Eliz Walters and moved to Childers Street, North Adelaide where he purchased a house and land. He entered into property dealing and did very well. He died in 1881 and both he and Elizabeth are burie in St John cemetery, Salisbury.
   William junior added more property to Trevolsa and retained the nine acres at the Little Para, which by then was planted to citrus. He was assisted on the farm by his sons Alfred and Charles. In 1897 Alfred married Louisa Rann daughter of John and Sarah Rann of Highercombe and took over the orangery full time. They had no children. In 1936 they retired to Hawthorne. Alfred died in 1959 at the age of 94. Louisa predeceased him by 21 years. They are both buried at St John cemetery, Salisbury.
   Charles never married and spent his life on the farm. William Junior's eldest son ,William, became a veterinarian residing at North Adelaide. Another son, Albert also worked with his father on the farm. He never married, and died at the age of 35. The other son of William and Martha, Samuel, married his cousin Harriet, and established a farm in the Paskeville-Moonta area. William Pedler Junior died in 1909 at the age of 79 and his wife Martha in 1915. They are both buried at West Terrace Cemetery.
  The property that was Trevolsa is now part of the Cobblers Creek recreation reserve. Access to this is from the continuation of Smith Road across Bridge Road.