Title


Douglas Park 

  In 1846 Captain John Ellis, a wealthy pastoralist, first took up section 3062 of Munno Para and section 2188 of Yatala, being West and East respectively, of the Little Para River and adjacent to the northern side of what is now Burton Road He also purchased land at Gawler River with the idea of establishing a town there and also purchased land in the Midnorth of South Australia as far North as Clare and Burra. He built a house on section 3062 on the western bank of the river and spent much on the development of the property.
 In 1857 the property was sold to John McNicol. John McNicol was born in Perth, Scotland. c. 1822. He arrived in South Australia in 1855 and on 15 January 1857 at Adelaide, he married Margaret Douglas, daughter of James and Grace Douglas. Margaret was also born in Scotland. They renamed their property "Douglas Park". They had three children, Christina (who died at the age of 21), William James (born 7/3/1862) and Grace, (born 20/12/1864). John died 23 July 1866 at the age of 44 leaving Margaret with a very young family and a farm to manage. Her father had died only two years earlier.
 William was educated at John Poole's school at Salisbury and later by private tuition at Glenelg. He then assisted his mother with the management of the farm. On 28th October 1896 he married Letitia Coker, daughter of William and Hannah Coker of Salisbury, (his sister Grace had married Letitia's brother Hedley six years earlier), and took over the property on his own.
 William established the property with agriculture, dairying and horse breeding. He was a frequent exhibitor of heavy draught horses at the Royal Agricultural Society shows in Adelaide and was a successful prize-winner for that class of stock on many occasions.
 He was involved in community affairs and served for 14 years as a member of the Yatala North District Council, three years of which he was chairman. He was a member the Salisbury Congregational Church all his life and as early as 1882 he was a delegate to the Congregational Union. He was treasurer of the local church from 1901 to 1914 and a deacon from 1906 to 1932. He was on their building committee when a room was added to the "Providence" Church in 1908 and also when the Ferguson Memorial Church was built in 1928. He was a member of the Salisbury Institute committee for many years. He retired from "Douglas Park" in 1924 and spent his retirement in a house in Middleton Street, (now Salisbury Highway).
 William and Letitia had three children; Christina born 9/8/1897 but died two years later: Lancelot James born 15/1/1899; and Lillian May born 3/3/1901. May never married and cared for her parents in their declining years. Lance married Jessie Lightbody of St. Kilda and they had two children; Douglas and Christina.
 William died 12/11/1946 and Letitia the previous year. They are both interred at St Johns Cemetery.
 Douglas Park has changed owners a few times since the McNicols farmed there and much of it now has been subdivided for housing. Ian and Elizabeth Johnson are the present occupiers.